In a tragic incident, described as “every parent’s worst nightmare”, a four year old girl died after a television set accidentally fell on her.
Emily May Hughes from Coedpoeth, Wrexham was certified dead on Christmas Day after the accident at home, which occurred the previous evening. Robert Hughes, the girl’s father, had bought a new TV on Christmas Eve and while struggling downstairs with the old television, accidentally dropped it onto his daughter, who unbeknown to him was lying at the foot of their stairs.
The little girl was rushed to Wrexham Maelor Hospital and was transferred later to Liverpools Alder Hey Hospital. She died the next day after suffering from a catastrophic brain injury.
The family thanked the medical staff who tried to save her and also said thank you for the support they have received from other people from all over the world. Mr and Mrs Hughes described their daughter’s death as a “tragic accident”.
The incident has shocked the entire village, who remember Emily as a bubbly and cute little girl.